Here’s how it works:
- If you don’t already have a Google or Gmail account, you’ll need to set up a Google account. Go to http://www.google.com/.
- Click on ‘Sign In’ at the top right.
- Where it says “Don’t have a Google Account? Create an account now,” click to create an account.
- Once you’ve done this and signed in, go to “My Account” (top right)
- Then click on “Alerts” or if you don’t see that, click on “More” under “Try something new.
From here, you can set up an alert for your research topic. Think of as many ways to search your topic as you can and create an alert for each topic.
For example, I have weekly alerts for all subjects I’m interested in possibly writing about. Here are some of my alerts:
- Art and autism
- Autism awareness
- Online teaching
I’ve set each alert to send me a comprehensive email once a week to my email address. Each week, I get an email for each alert that gives a list of websites, news sites, blogs, etc. that are covering my topics. Sometimes I find some really useful articles/websites through this system.
Check out Google's FAQ page for more information.